TEACHING & LEARNING
Doveland High School aims to provide education and training which will help students achieve their potential by promoting personal development through:
- excellent and accessible education for those who live in Nigeria and anywhere in the world.
- flexible and responsive academic programmes to serve a diverse student population, based on opportunities for further education.
- excellent educational services, which meet rigorous academic and professional standards.
- education that equips its students with cultural understanding in addition to advanced subject knowledge and appropriate life skills.
To achieve the above, all the members of Faculty have a collective and individual responsibility to contribute to the school’s broad, challenging and integrated curriculum. In addition, they individually have a responsibility to strive to deliver well-planned lessons where the teaching and learning are of prime consideration.
For a conducive and enabling environment for teaching and learning, our classrooms are:
- tidy and free of clutter
- aesthetically pleasing to the eye
Our very spacious classrooms comprise a maximum of 24 students. The teachers monitor, give care and professionally deal with the day-to-day activities of the students. The Behavioural Management Policy takes care of how we manage behaviour in and out of class.
- Making connections across subjects – learning across the curriculum.
- Engaging students as active learners.
- Engaging students as self-directed learners.
- Providing opportunities for students to apply knowledge and/or skills.
- Promoting pupil self-assessment and self-reflection.
- Integrating technology into teaching and learning.
- Providing opportunities for teachers to develop and improve their delivery strategies.
- Encouraging teachers to use feedback from variety of sources, including other teachers, students and parents as a means of improving teaching and learning.
- Improving delivery for the purposes of enhancing students’ learning and meeting their needs through proper supervision and evaluation processes.
EXPECTATION OF A STUDENT IN A CLASSROOM ENVIRONMENT
- Students are expected to always resume in class on time.
- They are to enter the classroom equipped with their textbooks and writing materials.
- They are to sit quietly as soon as they enter a learning zone in anticipation to learn.
- They are to tackle all tasks and assignment with zeal and commitment.
- No student may talk to another student, move around, leave the classroom or go to toilet without a clear permission from the teacher.
- They must always write in clear handwriting. Failure to do so may warrant the teacher to insist that such note must be recopied.
- All tasks must be submitted as at when due.
- All students are expected to tuck in their chairs before leaving the class.
- The entry and exit in every class must be in a single file.
- The teachers deliver lessons in accordance to the planned lesson plans and the school’s curricular objectives.
- They demonstrate knowledge of subject matter and transmit that knowledge in an interesting manner to accomplish the objectives of instruction.
- They are familiar with the latest teaching practices: They are highly creative in making their classes interactive by adopting audio, visual and kinaesthetic methods.
- The goal is that all our students must demonstrate a very strong understanding of all the topics covered before another one is introduced. Hence, our teachers demonstrate/explain the topic in such a way that the students will need little or no note-copying. Long notes to cover the ineffectiveness and inefficiency of the teachers are not tolerated in the school.
- Our teachers make optimal use of the facilities provided by the school to facilitate learning and assess students objectively.
- They also demonstrate keen understanding of the needs, concerns, abilities and interests of each student in delivering lessons.
- After each topic, every teacher gives assessment which will be used to evaluate the understanding of the topics as well as to develop the skills mentioned above.